Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Cassel concerns, RB battles in Houston and NY, and more...












The Kansas City Star (for whom I write) reports that Brodie Croyle is becoming a threat to Matt Cassel's starting job. While I find that incredibly hard to believe, I would be remiss in not sharing this with you. It certainly gives me some pause when I consider selecting Cassel as my backup. Croyle looked very good in the first preseason game, and Cassel has just been so-so. Again, don't put too much stock in this report, but it certainly bears watching. Stranger things have happened...

Interesting backfield battles are also being waged in New York and Houston...

Danny Ware put on an impressive show in the first preseason game, leading to rampant speculation that he will play a much bigger role in the Giants' RBBC than many expect. I've been high on Ahmad Bradshaw for some time, and I haven't changed my outlook yet (he, too, looked great in limited action this weekend), but this is another case where we shouldn't make assumptions too soon.

I just find it a little odd that rookie Andre Brown was considered a lock as the third RB in the G-men's rotation until he was lost for the year, and now Ware is suddenly going to eat significantly into Bradshaw's carries? I don't see it. Bradshaw can be electrifying, and seems like the perfect complement to the bruising Brandon Jacobs. I'm still targeting Bradshaw in the middle rounds of my drafts, but those of you who like what Ware brings to the table might want to take a flier on him later.

In Houston, oft-injured RB Chris Brown is doing his best to carve out a role as the short-yardage back in the Texans' high-octane offense. Brown is a legitimate threat to poach TD carries from the otherwise-outstanding Steve Slaton, which is why last year's rookie sensation continues to drop down draft boards from the 1st to mid-2nd round. Slaton has had some trouble consistently making it into the end zone in the past, so Brown's presence should be a real worry to those targeting Slaton. (Think Chris Johnson and LenDale White.) That said, it's probably just a matter of weeks (days?) before Brown suffers yet another season-ending injury...

Elsewhere, Brandon Marshall is still spoiling for a trade...Javon Walker is making a play to pick up where Chaz Schilens left off...mediocre QB battles continue to be waged in Tampa Bay, San Fran and Cleveland...Laurence Maroney has been looking good in training camp (but he's still undraftable, in my opinion)...and, oh, there's a new, scraggly bearded face in Minnesota...

No comments:

Post a Comment