Sunday, October 8, 2017

Sunday morning observations -- Week 5

Good morning, Fools. It's another beautiful day in Fantasyland.

Thought I'd share a quick anecdote: I've been resisting one of my buddy's attempts to extract Tevin Coleman from me for the past 3 weeks. He owns Devonta Freeman, and he was pissed when I scooped him up in the draft before he could. Coleman has been riding my bench, but I wasn't going to trade him for a mediocre guy like Pierre Garcon, who he offered me. This week, I proposed a trade for T.Y. Hilton, and he bit. I think it's safe to say that I got the better end of that deal unless and until Freeman goes down with an injury (and as long as Hilton stays healthy). It's just another example of why it's important to handcuff your top RB, before someone else does. AND, to hold out on trades until you get what you want. Of course, time will tell if I "won" that trade or not, but I like my chances.

Now, here's the news we need to know to set our best starting lineups today.

Sam Bradford is on track to play on Monday night. I sure wouldn't start him, but it's obviously encouraging news for Stefon Diggs and Adam Thielen.

Marcus Mariota is not going to play, which means those of you counting on Tennessee receivers will be counting on Matt Cassel. Good luck with that.

Branden Oliver is out with a hammy, so Melvin Gordon's owners will get a good look at his new handcuff, rookie Austin Ekeler. As one of those Gordon owners, I'm hoping it's a very brief look and my first-round pick performs up to his draft stock against the G-Men.

C.J. Prosise is out, which means we'll get another look at J.D. McKissic as the 3rd-down, change-of-pace back behind Eddie Lacy (who's expected to start) and Thomas Rawls. Will the rookie dazzle again? If so, he'll be the hottest RB on the waiver wire in a couple days ... unless you grab him preemptively. I already picked him up in one league.

No Ty Montgomery today for the Pack, so Aaron Jones will get his 15 minutes against the Cowboys. He's a decent flex play if you need one.

Wendell Smallwood will sit, leaving the Philly backfield in LeGarrette Blount's hands against the Cards. I like Blount's chances for at least one short TD run and plenty of yards between the 20s.

I'd love to think Marshawn Lynch is going to have a big game, as many have predicted, with E.J. Manuel under center instead of Derek Carr. But I just don't see it. The passing attack is likely to struggle -- even with Michael Crabtree back in the lineup -- and the Ravens should be stacking the line against the Beast. The younger, more nimble Oakland RBs should also be worked in more liberally, so I'm leaving Lynch on my bench until he proves otherwise.

Looking for another guy to grab preemptively? Consider Wayne Gallman, the rookie who is expected to lead the Giants' backfield with Paul Perkins ruled out with tender and juicy ribs. Can Gallman do what no other back has done -- make the Giants a good running team -- since, who, Ahmad Bradshaw? Let's just say I'm not grabbing him yet. Orleans Darkwa will get his touches, too.

And here's one more: Mike Williams, the 7th overall draft pick by the Chargers. The team is pointing to a Week 7 debut for their prized rookie, and while you wouldn't risk starting him in his first game or two back, you better believe L.A. will make him a big part of their passing attack as soon as they can. Keenan Allen is already on borrowed time for his annual injury, so Williams may not have to fight for targets too hard.

I was already down on Martavis Bryant against the Jags this weekend, before I knew he was added to the injury report late in the week with an illness. He's expected to tough it out and play, but he should be on your bench (as he is mine) regardless.

Good news for Davante Adams and his health -- he is expected to suit up today against the Cowboys. After the hit he took to the head 10 days ago, that's pretty amazing. No telling if he'll be on a snap count or not, but he's not a bad play against the struggling Cowboys secondary.

John Brown is also expected to play, and I've got him slotted in one of my starting lineups. I like the matchup and Brown's big-play ability.

That's it for now. Inactives coming next via Twitter. Good luck to all Fools!

No comments:

Post a Comment