Tuesday, September 3, 2013

My final draft of the preseason

My local league of buddies held its annual draft on Sunday night.  It's a 10-man PPR league.  I drafted from the 8 hole.  Here's the squad that will be leading me to another championship:

Pick 1.8: LeSean McCoy, RB, Eagles.  Love him in PPR leagues, particularly this late in the first round.  The RB is the true beneficiary of Chip Kelly's offense, so this could be a career year for Shady.

Pick 2.3: Dez Bryant, WR, Cowboys.  Amazingly, Megatron went with the pick just before mine.  I had a feeling a WR run was about to take off, so I jumped in and took a chance that a solid RB would be there on the swing back.  As you know, Dez is my top-rated wideout, so I'm loving this pick.

Pick 3.8: Maurice Jones-Drew, RB, Jaguars.  If he's healthy, MJD will be a terrific RB2.  I'll be saying a prayer for his foot.

Pick 4.3:  Andre Johnson, WR, Texans.  I can't believe he slid this far, especially in a PPR league.

Pick 5.8: Matt Ryan, QB, Falcons.  Very happy to get an elite QB this late.

Pick 6.3: Jordy Nelson, WR, Packers.  I had intended to take a TE with one of these picks, but I didn't like the value.  He'll be another injury worry; but when healthy, Jordy gives me a trio of game-breaking WRs.

Pick 7.8: Hakeem Nicks, WR, Giants.  I realize he may be past his elite years, but this is awfully far for him to fall.

Pick 8.3: Chris Ivory, RB, Jets.  Yuck.  I neglected my RBs a bit too long.

Pick 9.8: Le'Veon Bell, RB, Steelers.  I've stolen him around here in every draft.  Word today is that he is aiming for a Week 2 return.  I won't believe that till I see it, but clearly there's a great deal of upside and he should be a more-than-solid RB3 soon enough.

Pick 10.3: Colin Kaepernick, QB, 49ers.  Yep, you got it.  Kaep slid so far that even I decided I couldn't pass him up.  Not a big fan, but he could certainly prove me wrong and, if nothing else, he's awesome trade bait.  Love him as my backup QB.

Pick 11.8: Seahawks defense/special teams.  The 49ers and Bears were picked shortly before me, but I got my top unit anyway.  Continued a nice run on defenses.

Pick 12.3: Jordan Cameron, TE, Browns.  I'd like him a lot better as my TE2, but he's going to have to come through for me now.  It could happen.

Pick 13.8: Justin Blackmon, WR, Jaguars.  With my WR corps, I can afford to await his return from suspension.  Once he gets up to speed, he could come up big.

Pick 14.3: Bryce Brown, RB, Eagles.  Time to handcuff Shady.

Pick 15.8:  Randy Bullock, K, Texans.  Six of one, half dozen the other.

Pick 16.3: Zach Sudfeld, TE, Patriots.  I swung for the fences with my last pick.  Glad he wasn't on the others' radar.

There you have it.  Now it's time to go to battle!

5 comments:

  1. Ladd and Fools,
    I have an opportunity early to make a splash. PPR 14 team league: would you trade W Welker and RGIII for AJ Green and Jay Cutler? Aj is an upgrade over Welker and RGIII is merely a back up as I have M Ryan.
    My roster:
    WR's-Steve Smith, TY Hilton, Welker, K Thomkins
    RB's-Forte, A Morris
    QB- M Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not an expert...but if it were me I would do it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got an any positional player flex...should I go Phillip rivers or mike Wallace its a ppr league

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd go with Rivers. Wallace is on my sit list this week, though I'm not crazy about Rivers either.

      Delete
  4. I'd go Wallace. Rivers is facing a tough D. Wallace has struggled against hadden but law of averages (can't last forever).

    ReplyDelete