Wednesday, September 7, 2016

My last real draft of the season -- from the 2 hole

Just wrapped up my second, and last, real draft of the 2016 season. Honestly, I'm not thrilled with it. Plenty of potential, but most of the time I like my rosters from top to bottom. Not so much this time.

Here's what I did with the 2nd overall pick in a 10-team PPR league:

Pick 1.2: David Johnson, RB, Cards. You know I love him, and I'm committed to him, especially in PPR leagues. Though I realize it's a bit of a reach -- he's usually available 4-5 slots later -- he's head and shoulders above the RB talent available late in the 2nd round. The dropoff among WRs is severe too, but not as dramatic.

Pick 2.9: Alshon Jeffery, WR, Bears. He was the best WR on the board, in my judgment. I was hoping for Brandon Marshall, but he went one pick earlier.

Pick 3.2: LeSean McCoy, RB, Bills. It was Shady or T.Y. Hilton, and I just felt the tradeoff was better with another pass-catching RB.

Pick 4.9: Greg Olsen, TE, Panthers. Got cold feet about waiting until the next round for Olsen, knowing that the guy picking next had no TE.

Pick 5.2: Jarvis Landry, WR, Dolphins. This is who I wanted in the 4th Round, so it all worked out.

Pick 6.9: Carson Palmer, QB, Cardinals. Got my QB. I'm happy.

Pick 7.2: Danny Woodhead, RB, Chargers. Great pass-catching RB who lines up in goal-line formations. A better fantasy option than Melvin Gordon, until proven otherwise.

Pick 8.9: Marvin Jones, WR, Lions. Nothing about this pick excites me, but I think it was the right call. Hopefully he and Matt Stafford tear it up this year. I'd like him a lot more if he was my WR4.

Pick 9.2: Blake Bortles, QB, Jaguars. Debated whether to jump on the Kirk Cousins train instead, but cast my backup QB lot with the Jacksonville gunslinger, as planned.

Pick 10.9: DeAngelo Williams, RB, Steelers. I like this pick because it upset the Le'Veon Bell owner so much. I will likely start him as my flex in the first three weeks.

Pick 11.2: Broncos defense/special teams. The run on defenses had begun, so I grabbed the #2 unit on my board (because I didn't want to exacerbate my Week 9 bye issues by taking the Cardinals).

Pick 12.9: Travis Benjamin, WR, Chargers. Love this pick this late. Wouldn't be surprised if he's my WR3 before long.

Pick 13.2: James White, RB, Patriots. One of my sleeper picks, White has huge potential for PPR leaguers.

Pick 14.9: Steve Smith, WR, Ravens. As I said to my league-mates, every time I've passed on taking Smith, I've come to regret it. Of course, I was a young man when that began. And so was he.

Pick 15.2: Tevin Coleman, RB, Falcons. Very possibly could become the starting tailback in Atlanta. At worst, he's in a time-share with Freeman.

Pick 16.9: Justin Forsett, RB, Ravens. Talk about a flier! If Forsett really reclaims his starting job in Baltimore, this will be grand theft. That said, I'm afraid he'll be embroiled in a committee until rookie Kenneth Dixon returns from his knee injury.

Pick 17.2: Chris Boswell, K, Steelers. All my preferred kickers were gone. Boswell will do, probably.

There you have it. Perhaps it's a better roster than I think, but I'm not in love with it. Time will tell.

And time begins tomorrow night!

No comments:

Post a Comment