Monday, August 26, 2013

A real draft, from the 12 hole

The Sporting News Fantasy Source experts held our final, real draft of the preseason tonight.   This one we play for pride and cold hard cash. Naturally, I got stuck with the 12th pick (yes, they fear me).

It's a standard, 12-man league with 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 D/ST and 1 K.

Here's what I got:

Pick 1.12: Stevan Ridley, RB, Patriots.  Megatron and 10 RBs went before my pick, but Rice and Marshawn almost slid to me.  So, true to my Perfect Draft strategy, I made the decision to go RB/RB.

Pick 2.1: Chris Johnson, RB, Titans.  I have Johnson ranked as the 6th-best RB in the draft, with Ridley #9.  Just picked them out of order, for no good reason.  Yes, Dez was there.  Hated letting him go.

Pick 3.12: Vincent Jackson, WR, Bucs.  The top WRs were long gone, but Peyton almost fell to me.  A-Rod hung around till 2.12, while Brees, Cam and Peyton also went in this round.  I'm fairly happy with V-Jax as my lead WR.  (FYI, had I waited till now for my RB2, my best option would have been Lacy or McFadden; thus validating my RB/RB strategy.)

Pick 4.1: Matt Ryan, QB, Falcons.  I'm happy with Ryan, but I considered waiting until the swing-back for RG3.  Didn't think he'd be there (but he was; barely).

Pick 5.12: Jason Witten, TE, Cowboys.  Graham, Gronk and Vernon were gone, so it was time.  Gonzo went after my next pick.

Pick 6.1: T.Y. Hilton, WR, Colts.  Love Hilton, but wish he was my WR3.  If he produces as I expect, he'll be a great #2, though.

Pick 7.12: Stevie Johnson, WR, Bills.  We'll see...

Pick 8.1: Vincent Brown, WR, Chargers.  This pick could pay off big-time.  Or go pfffft.

Pick 9.12: DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Texans.  You know I love him.  I got him.

Pick 10.1: Le'Veon Bell, RB, Steelers.  What do you do when the RBs are essentially depleted?  You grab a player that is expected to be a workhorse once he returns some time around Week 6 or 7.  My first starting RB's bye is Week 8, so I feel very good about this pick.

Pick 11.12:  Daniel Thomas, RB, Dolphins.  Lamar Miller isn't exactly cemented into Miami's starting lineup.

Pick 12.1: 49ers defense/special teams.  Seattle's unit went 2 rounds earlier.  Shocked San Fran fell this far.

Pick 13.12: Jacquizz Rodgers, RB, Falcons.  What are the chances that 30-year-old Steven Jackson misses a start or two this season?  Yeah, I thought so.

Pick 14.1: Matt Schaub, QB, Texans.  You know he's my boy.

Pick 15.12: Marcel Reece, RB, Raiders.  What are the chances that Darren McFadden misses a start or five this season?  You betcha.

Pick 16.1: Matt Prater, K, Broncos.  My top-ranked kicker.

Overall, I'm satisfied with this team, though a championship is far from certain.  I need CJ2K to return, Ryan to take another step forward, T.Y. to emerge and Philip Rivers to fall in love with Vincent Brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment