Thursday, August 16, 2012

Last Sporting News Mock Draft

Yesterday was the last of five mock drafts conducted by the Sporting News Fantasy Source experts.  This one was a 12-person, standard (non-PPR) league.

In a major twist, I actually secured the 2nd overall pick for a change (after drafting from the 8 and 10 holes in the previous four drafts).

Here's the team I assembled:

Pick 1.2: LeSean McCoy, RB, Eagles.  I love Shady, yes I do.  I love Shady, how 'bout you?

Pick 2.11: Wes Welker, WR, Patriots.  Matt Stafford was snatched right before me, ending the run of elite QBs. Got the #2 WR on my board instead.

Pick 3.2:  Michael Vick, QB, Eagles.  Knowing how long I had to wait between picks, I couldn't risk that the next wave of near-elite QBs would be drained before my 4th rounder.  Vick comes with risks, but plenty of upside.  I guess I'm all-in with Philly...

Pick 4.11: Demaryius Thomas, WR, Broncos.  14 WRs went off the board between my 3rd and 4th round selections, so lots of my favorites were gone.  That said, I fully expect Thomas to be Peyton's top target in Denver.

Pick 5.2: Doug Martin, RB, Buccaneers.  In retrospect, I should have taken Ahmad Bradshaw with my 4th pick, since he was scooped up immediately after Thomas.  I like Martin's potential, but not crazy about him as my RB2.

Pick 6.11: Denarius Moore, WR, Raiders.  I was banking on Pierre Garcon, but he was snagged one pick too early (just like Stafford).  I like Moore's sleeper potential, especially as a big-play receiver in a Carson Palmer-led offense.  Wish I didn't have to pull the trigger this early, though.

Pick 7.2: Jermichael Finley, TE, Packers.  Last year's 5th-ranked tight end is going awfully cheap, if you ask me.  Wish I had Jennings or Jordy, but Finley is a nice consolation prize.

Pick 8.11: Titus Young, WR, Lions.  I'm really fired up about this guy.  He has elite talent and an elite QB to get him the ball.  His biggest struggle is with maturity.  Hopefully he'll develop some quickly.

Pick 9.2: Isaac Redman, RB, Steelers.  He slid a long ways due to breaking news over his groin injury. If the injury doesn't cost him (much) regular season time, this was a great pick.  Or it could have been a total waste.

Pick 10.11: Matt Schaub, QB, Texans. The backup QBs were flying off the board, so I grabbed my fave before it was too late.

Pick 11.2:  Danny Amendola, WR, Rams.  Normally, Amendola would slide further, but I got the sense that he wouldn't last much longer with this group, the way they were snatching up the WRs.  I love his sleeper value.

Pick 12.11: Jahvid Best, RB, Lions.  The draft was being conducted just after news broke that Best was likely heading to the PUP list.  I knew the concussion worries were mounting, but hadn't heard the latest until it was too late.  This pick was as good as saying "Pass!"

Pick 13.2: Eagles defense/special teams.  The Packers went immediately before my pick, so I settled for the next best option.

Pick 14.11: Davone Bess, WR, Dolphins.  Somebody has to catch passes in Miami, right?

Pick 15.2: Randall Cobb, WR, Packers.  Another of my sleeper picks.  Love the upside for this explosive sophomore.

Pick 16.11: Jason Hanson, K, Lions.  Good kicker, great offense.

Pick 17.2: Ryan Grant, RB, Free agent.  The ultimate sleeper pick.  Rumor has it that he's being eyed by the Lions and a couple of other teams.  Any day now, he could start shooting up the boards just like Cedric Benson did last week.

There you have it.

Here's how the entire draft played out: http://fantasysource.sportingnews.com/football/mock-draft

In two weeks, we draft for real!

6 comments:

  1. Yeah. fantasy football mock draft is a great way to keep in contact with friends who may live in different places or strengthen existing relationships with co-workers on the job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your substance is completely splendid from various perspectives. I think this is drawing in and educational material. Much obliged to you such a great amount for thinking about your substance and your perusers. News 24 hours

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your substance is completely splendid from various perspectives. I think this is drawing in and educational material. Much obliged to you such a great amount for thinking about your substance and your perusers. News 24 hours

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your substance is completely splendid from various perspectives. I think this is drawing in and educational material. Much obliged to you such a great amount for thinking about your substance and your perusers. News 24 hours

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to recommend exclusively fine plus efficient information and facts, hence notice it: generic

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’ve been surfing online more than 5 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours without a doubt. It’s pretty worth enough for me. Thanks... sticky seaweed location

    ReplyDelete