Friday, November 20, 2009

Friday updates heading into Week 11


Here are a few tidbits pulled from my Sporting News column today...

I know I’m going out on a limb here, but it looks like Ricky Williams will be alright without Ronnie Brown running the Wildcat…

And after watching DeAngelo Williams gallop around the left side for 50 yards last night, you should never think twice about starting him if he’s active, even when he’s listed as a game-time decision. His knee looks just fine, thank you.

Correll Buckhalter (knee) missed practice on Thursday, leading to concern that he could sit out Sunday’s game with the Chargers. That should be music to the ears of every frustrated Knowshon Moreno owner.

After a somewhat surprising performance against the Rams last week, Reggie Bush is dealing with swelling in his knee. Surprise! Though it is unlikely to keep him out of action on Sunday, you have to assume Pierre Thomas will be featured more against the Bucs as a result. I must admit I was shocked by Thomas’ meager production last week, so I am chalking it up to a one-week aberration.

It looks like Antonio Bryant (knee) will be back in the Bucs’ starting lineup Sunday. Keep him away from yours, though. Kellen Winslow is the only pass-catcher in Tampa Bay who merits a start.

A “probable concussion” kept Laveranues Coles out of today’s practice. Given NFL teams’ heightened sense of caution with head injuries, you should not expect Coles to suit up on Sunday. And if that’s the case, Andre Caldwell’s value spikes significantly, since he will be starting opposite Chad Ochocinco. One caveat: Oakland’s pass defense is better than you think.

Speaking of Oakland, Bruce Gradkowski takes over for JaMarcus Russell, Chaz Schilens will start over Louis Murphy, and Darren McFadden continues to absorb more of the workload at the expense of Justin Fargas and Michael Bush. Sounds like the Raiders are about to turn this thing around!

Not.

With Ryan Fitzpatrick getting the nod over the ineffective Trent Edwards in Buffalo, it’s clear the Bills’ quarterback situation is a mess. Enter Brian Brohm, signed this week off the Packers’ practice squad. The former second-round draft pick fell far short of his lofty expectations in Green Bay, but could get a shot at resurrecting his career before long in Buffalo. At least we can assume he’s used to the cold.

Look for Chris Jennings to get some carries this weekend, and possibly beyond, as he auditions for a more prominent role in Cleveland’s backfield. The team is searching for Jamal Lewis’ replacement, and Jerome Harrison has not stepped us as hoped. No need to waste a roster spot on Jennings yet, but it’s worth watching his progress (using your peripheral vision only, of course).

Who wants to bet Darrelle Revis shuts down Randy Moss again Sunday, as he did in their Week 2 showdown (24 yards)? I’ll take the Moss side of that wager all day long.

10 comments:

  1. Ladd,

    Addai, P.thomas, or Beanie?

    Thanks.

    Steve in Plano

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve,

    Love Pierre tomorrow. Had I know then what I know now (Bush out), I would have listed him among my Starters & Benchwarmers. As much as I like Beanie, I like Pierre even more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ladd,

    One more change...Romo or Favre. I have Favre starting now...but I'm a Cowboy Homer. Help.

    Steve in Plano

    ReplyDelete
  4. Which two of Roddy White, Mike Sims-Walker & Sidney Rice. I am leaning to the later two based on Matt Ryan's recent efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve,

    Hard to do, but I guess I'd have to go with Favre today. I think Romo should bounce back nicely, but he is playing the #1 pass defense in the league today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. bkey2424,

    Yeah, I'd go with Sims-Walker and Rice. Roddy has been terrific, but he's a little banged up.

    ReplyDelete