Sunday, September 10, 2017

Sunday morning observations -- Week 1

Good morning, Fools! It's a beautiful day in Fantasyland -- unless you're in Florida, like all my siblings and many friends from my youth. It looks like they're in for a miserable day, and my prayers are with them. I hope you'll add yours.

Despite feeling even more trivial than ever, you're here to read about fantasy football, and that's what we're going to deliver. Let's take our spin around the NFL for the news we need to make our best starting lineup decisions.

It appears the Giants are going to make us wait until game time for a decision on Odell Beckham, Jr.'s playing status, but most indications are that he will NOT play. He hasn't practiced all week, but he did make the flight to Dallas. Suddenly, my last-round selection of Sterling Shepard feels a lot better. In fact, I'm starting Shepard in my flex spot tonight, whether or not OBJ plays.

Am I worried about Cam Newton? No way. I'm starting him with confidence (despite the Q tag due to his shoulder) and preparing for a feast as he faces the lowly 49ers.

I've also made the tough decision to bench Drew Brees at the Vikings in favor of Derek Carr at the Titans. I don't have a lot of confidence that that fantasy team can overcome its deficit from starting the underachieving Brandin Cooks and Travis Kelce against Kareem Hunt on Thursday night. Especially since my opponent also has David Johnson and Zeke Elliott (yikes!). But we won't put up the white flag unless and until we hear some fat lady singing!

I'm staying away from the Bengals RB committee until things shake out. I own Joe Mixon in one league, and I fully expect him to be the bell cow within a matter of weeks. Hopefully sooner. I own Jeremy Hill in another league, but he is desperation depth only, even though he's starting today.

I have a bad feeling about the Colts today with Scott Tolzien at the helm. The Rams defense is solid, though it's missing its best player (Aaron Donald) today. Give serious consideration to benching T.Y. Hilton if you have a reasonable alternative.

Chronically injured Jordan Reed (broken toe) is expected to play today against the Eagles. When he plays, you have to start him. You don't get that many opportunities to do so. I also love Jamison Crowder in this matchup.

If Sebastian Janikowski is your kicker, he shouldn't be any longer. He's been placed on IR -- in a season where he could finally get enough attempts to make him a fantasy force, after all these years -- and replaced by Giorgio Tavechhio. No, I have no clue if Giorgio is bene or not...

And, of course, you know the Dolphins and Bucs have moved their opener to Week 11. I say "of course," but a quick check of ESPN's fantasy site shows that 35% of owners still have Mike Evans in their starting lineup. Jameis Winston is starting for 25%, Jay Ajayi is in 30% of lineups and Jarvis Landry will play, but not play, for 18% of his owners. WTF???

That's it for today on the Fantasy Fools blog. I'll be tweeting (@ladd_biro) shortly with all the inactives and other late-breaking news. Be sure to follow me, and here's to a great start to the season for all Fools!

No comments:

Post a Comment