Tuesday, August 29, 2017

My first real draft of 2017 -- from the 2 spot

Last night, after waking at 4 a.m. to catch a 6:30 a.m. flight from Boston to Dallas, I hosted a draft party at my office, complete with pizza, beer and some rowdy buddies.

I provide these details as partial explanation for the results of my first draft. Hey, I was dead tired, drinking and having fun with the guys. So what if I got stuck with Cam and Big Ben as my QBs?

Oh well. For what it's worth, here's what I got in a 10-team PPR league, drafting with the 2nd pick:

Pick 1.2: Le'Veon Bell, RB, Steelers. Of course, DJ went first. Bell was an easy call, even in my condition. (Time to report to the team, sir!)

Pick 2.9: Brandin Cooks, WR, Patriots. Most "experts" like Cooks more than I do. But Michael Thomas was long gone, and my backup plan, Dez Bryant, was scooped up at 2.8.

Pick 3.2: Marshawn Lynch, RB, Raiders. Would've swung for the fences with Zeke Elliott if the guy right before me didn't. I still love the Beast, but it felt like a reach at the time. Other options -- Gurley, Miller and Fournette -- just don't interest me.

Pick 4.9: Davante Adams, WR, Packers. Hey, I practice what I preach. Adams is a key piece of the Packers' high-octane offense, and I'm happy to have him.

Pick 5.2: Greg Olsen, TE, Panthers. Surprisingly, Jordan Reed went a few picks earlier (to a Redskins homer). Kelce went at 5.1 (to a Chiefs homer), so the run on elite TEs was on. Olsen was the guy I wanted anyway, though I might have shaken things up a bit if Kelce had slid another notch.

Pick 6.9: Cam Newton, QB, Panthers. The two guys I was waiting for -- Matt Ryan and Derek Carr -- went at 6.5 and 6.6. Dammit! I've never been a Cam fan, so I'm not happy about this.

Pick 7.2: C.J. Anderson, RB, Broncos. Surprised he lasted this long. I'm set at RB.

Pick 8.9: Tyrell Williams, WR, Chargers. Another one of my favorite sleeper picks.

Pick 9.2: Jeremy Maclin, WR, Ravens. My buddy drafting from the 1 slot took both Dak Prescott and Chris Hogan after I grabbed Williams. I wanted Dak as my backup. Hogan was on my radar, but really, I wouldn't have taken him since I already have Cooks. That said, while there's nothing sexy about drafting Maclin, he's probably going to be a solid contributor.

Pick 10.9: Adam Thielen, WR, Vikings. Ugh. I have a stake in the Minnesota passing attack. What was I thinking? I shoulda taken Jacquizz Rodgers, who went next. (That's the price I pay for publishing my Perfect Draft column prior to my own drafts.)

Pick 11.2: Ben Roethlisberger, QB, Steelers. Not a bad QB2. Just have to know when to start him.

Pick 12.9: Broncos defense. I didn't like my other options, so I decided to start the run on defenses.

Pick 13.2: C.J. Prosise, RB, Seahawks. I need RB depth, and the pool is getting very shallow.

Pick 14.9: Austin Hooper, TE, Falcons. I don't always draft a backup TE, but when I do, I prefer one from a prolific offense.

Pick 15.2: Jeremy Hill, RB, Bengals. Just shoot me.

Pick 16.9: Cole Beasley, WR, Cowboys. More than serviceable in a PPR league.

Pick 17.2: Wil Lutz, K, Saints. Whatever.

My next real draft is Thursday. I'm going to be better prepared for that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment